Thursday, March 24, 2011

We Did It!

We've been training for nearly 5 months and this last weekend was the big day. We ran our half marathon, that is to say we ran 13.1 miles! The big race was in Moab so we made a trip of it. Consider yourself warned there are way too many pics in this post.
On the way down we stopped at the Price Dino museum. I left the camera in the car but it was a hit and a lot of fun.
We arrived in Moab a day early so we could do some hiking in Arches National Park. Aunt Becky and our family friend came with us. We were so grateful to have them there to watch the kids while we ran. We hiked the Double Arch. It was great and the boys were sooo excited to go hiking.

We were lucky enough to have some friends come down with us. Kearsten and I trained together. It was fun to have friends along for all the fun esp because our kids ages match up pretty closely.Both Audrey and Logan had ear infections that were diagnosed the day before we left. Penn had a terrible cold. But we'd trained and paid for this so we felt we needed to go anyway (with the Dr's approval). We should have expected a rough night but literally Spencer and I got no more then 30 mins of sleep that night. Lets just say it was rough. But we were up early and caught the bus up the canyon were we waited for 2 and half hours before the race started. It takes a long time to bus 5,000 runners up the canyon. It was freezing cold at the top but as we ran it warmed up nicely. We finished in less then 2 and half hours. The following picture is not flattering but keep in mind we just ran 13.1 miles with no sleep, plus I had a baby 8 months ago.After the race, a shower and a nap (a ginormous thanks to Becky and Elizabeth for taking the kids for a car ride so we could catch an hour of sleep, it was heavenly!) we were off to the park.After more hiking we headed down to Durango to hang with Uncle Mitch, which is always a good time. Durango has a great train museum the boys enjoyed and I got some divine ribs at the Serious Texas BBQ.Now the big questions: Would I run another? What about a marathon?
The tough answers: Yes I'm considering running another half. I kind of want a do over with sleep! I'm not so sure about the full marathon. My knees have been hurting. I'm not sure they would hold up. I think I'd have to see a doctor or two before I could answer that question. I had a great time and would encourage everyone to set difficult but achievable goals. It's fun to work toward achieving them and it feels great when you accomplish them!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so cool Mary....I am so impressed. I started running last year, and quite enjoy it. I'm doing Ragnar in June, so I might need to get to tips from you! Good job!!!

Daryl & Gayelene said...

Way to go, I am so proud of you two for doing it. 13.1 miles is a long ways to run.

hope2adoptbaby said...

Seriously, so impressive! Way to go!

Me said...

Good job guys!!! And 30 minutes of sleep are you kidding!! You're iron woman. You did awesome!!! (i would tell you yes do a marathon, but I shall wait and see how mine goes, yikes.)